Tips for Installing Decorative Patterned Tiles
Patterned tiles add color, vibrancy, and interest to your décor. Learn about decorative tiles, patterning techniques, and installation.
Tips For Installing Patterned Tile
Patterned tiles in a range of styles—from florals and elaborate graphics to mosaic-inspired designs—have become increasingly popular with homeowners, and it's easy to see why. Effective use of patterned tiles on floors or walls adds strong visual interest and can even make small spaces appear larger. These designer tiles are being used in all areas of the home including kitchens, bathrooms, and other living spaces. If you’re thinking of introducing patterned tiles to your home, LL Flooring can help you find the perfect design for your home.
What Are Patterned Tiles?
Patterned tiles are exactly what the name implies—tiles with lots of color and decoration. You can also use decorative tiles to make designs such as herringbone, as well as linear ones and ones that are stacked vertically. Given the multitude of available shades, sizes, and finishes, tiles can easily elevate the personality of any room. The earliest patterned tiles were made of sunbaked cement. Today’s tiles are crafted from ceramic or porcelain using the latest technology. You can find styles from early traditional to minimalist to modern at a variety of price points, appealing to all budgets.
Benefits of Patterned Tiles
Patterned tiles bring elegance, color, and interest to floors and walls, and offer advantages such as:
- Highlighting a specific theme in an area of your home
- Adding a unique feature to a space
- Drawing attention to distinctive elements in a room
- Appropriate for either traditional or modern homes, patterned tiles are also easy to clean and maintain
Patterns You Can Create With Tiles
We all want spaces that are on-trend yet in line with our own personal style preferences. Patterned tiles are a versatile solution, as they allow you to create designs that reflect your vision. Some of these patterns may require the help of a professional installer, while others can be achieved by DIYers. Here are a few of the most popular patterns to make with tiles:
- Herringbone: As a re-emerging trend, herringbone-patterned tiles are the perfect example of classic meets modern style. This design pattern is achieved by installing V-shaped rows of 45-degree angled tiles.
- Vertically stacked: This design style uses subway tiles to create a geometric pattern with visual appeal. Stack your tiles vertically to make your walls seem taller.
- Brick bond: Brick bond styles are perfect for creating a cosmopolitan aesthetic. This pattern will create a traditional subway-style design on your floor or walls. To produce this design, use a rectangular tile with a height that's half the size of its own width when placed sideways. Place them parallel to each other with an offset of 50% or more.
- Linear: Linear design patterns offer an appealing look that's simple to create with square tiles. Make it pop by placing various colors of tile directly in line with each other to create a vibrant checkerboard effect.
Patterned tiles are suitable for both indoor and outdoor spaces. You can use them safely on outdoor patios and decks as they are tough, easy to clean, and more stable than pavers. Some tiles are specifically formulated to withstand outdoor weather elements.
Where Can I Install Patterned Tiles?
Tiles are versatile enough that you can place them almost anywhere. Use them to enhance your existing décor or to divide one area from another. Before installation, think about the pattern you want to create in relation to the space where you intend to use them.
Here are a few common places for patterned tiles:
- Entry Hallways: Entry hallways are an excellent place to lay patterned tiles because this is the first area people see when they enter your home. Choose a pattern that complements the rest of your home. Select a patchwork design for maximum impact or keep it subtle with a monochromatic pattern.
- Bathrooms: Bathrooms are where you can relax and unwind after a long day. Choose tiles that say something about your personal style. Floral pattern tiles are a good option—they add a graceful touch without going over the top.
- Kitchen Backsplash: A colorful kitchen backsplash is the simplest way to spruce up your kitchen. The relatively small coverage area means your backsplash can be installed quickly and inexpensively. Why not replace your white or gray tiles with patterned tiles for a touch of visual interest at a reasonable cost?
- Feature Walls: Consider an accent wall of patterned tiles for a simple yet dramatic way to transform the look and feel of a room. Decorative tiles create a focal point and can add some fresh contrast to an otherwise neutral room. If you have a fireplace, placing tiles around it is a great way to add visual interest to your living space.
How Do I Install Patterned Tiles?
An experienced DIYer can install tiles, especially for a small project like a backsplash. You may want to enlist the help of a professional installer for a designer look without the mess. If you're doing your own installation, choose a tile with a fake or pre-cut group gap; it's much quicker to place one tile than it is to cut and place four individual tiles. If you don't purchase pre-cut tiles, make sure you match the size of the tile to the grout joints so you get a smooth finish. If you're installing patchwork tiles, test a few color combinations to ensure you're happy with the placement before laying the other tiles.
Caring for Patterned Tiles
Ceramic and porcelain tile surfaces are resistant to water, dirt, chemicals, oil, and debris. Protect them from sand or grit, which may scratch the finish. Keep your floors looking beautiful by sweeping or vacuuming to remove loose dirt. Then, damp mop with a manufacturer-approved cleaning product, and rinse with clean water to remove excess product. We recommend drying your floor with a clean cloth or rag to increase the shine and to prevent water spots.
Are you looking for high-quality, affordable patterned tiles for your next project? Explore your options at LL Flooring and choose from our wide selection of patterned tiles to bring your vision to life.